Monday, June 9, 2008

Blogfolio Introduction

This blog will feature my thoughts and reflections, as well as links to my research and projects related to IT 648, Telecommunications in Education. This course is part of my doctoral minor (and part of the masters program) in Instructional Technology at The University of Southern Mississippi. I look forward to our discussions and welcome comments on any topics or projects found here.

Recently I have struggled with how best to present myself to potential employees as a potential faculty member that is dedicated to incorporating technology in my teaching. Having a (very) common name, I have not yet found a domain name for a website/online cv that conveys who I am as a professional. A Google search of "Lisa Richardson" comes up with over 330,000 hits - none of whom are yours truly. However, with the requirement of using this blog as a course portfolio, I have begun to reconsider this method as an alternative. A blogfolio is a great way to explain my teaching philosophy, as well as show how my future students can easily do the same.

My central belief in the delivery of effective distance learning is that the instructor and students must actively create a community that welcomes dialogue, contrasting ideas, and passionate argument while maintaining decorum and respect for all participants. Many people still believe that this is not possible in an online class. With all of the tools and technologies available to us - especially via open source - it most certainly is possible to emulate a face-to-face classroom both synchronously and asynchronously. Moreover, it can be done without creating barriers to students with differing learning styles or abilities.

I'll get down from my soapbox now, but you'll find these themes throughout my writings this summer. Welcome to my blogfolio! - LR

No comments: