Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reflection: Create a Website

For this assignment, we were instructed to create a personal website using Google Page Creator (GooglePages). The site was to have three or more pages including an introduction, interests, and an online version of your curriculum vitae.

I am so much a devotee of DreamWeaver that I actually purchased the Macromedia package that is now Adobe CS3 so that I could have it. On a grad student stipend, that's a pretty heavy investment. I had my reservations about the templates available for use on GooglePages, and how useful the design tools would be.

After using GooglePages, I am fully converted. Although there are some design limits to the templates available, the HTML editor extends the reach of the WYSIWYG interface fairly easily. This tool makes it simple for anyone to design a professional-looking website with 100MB of storage - for free! No sidebar ads, placement within the Google search engine, there are numerous benefits to using GooglePages to build a professional website/online cv.

I would recommend this tool to K-12 and college-level teachers instructing students in educational technology. The experience for students is invaluable and should be part of an ongoing dialogue on internet presence, safety, and protection of privacy. I plan to incorporate GooglePages in my workshops to this effect. You may visit my website here. Enjoy!

No comments: