Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reflection: Creating a Blog

For this assignment, we were required to create a weblog that we share with the class, that will also become a "blogfolio" - an online portfolio that offers reflections on our assignments for the course and the course itself.

Well, I came up with the handy-dandy site you are currently viewing, and I find that this blogfolio, along with the next assignment (creating a personal website) were just the push I needed to finally create my online professional presence. I believe that professionals, educators in particular, improve their marketability by maintaining a professional online presence. While professional networking sites like LinkedIn offer professional connections that are (highly) unlikely on Facebook or MySpace, a personal website and blog offer potential colleagues and employers insight into your personality, skills, and interests.

This blog and the website assignment have forced me to do what I kept procrastinating against for almost a year now. I've received a few compliments on the two sites, and some suggestions for improvement that I plan to incorporate shortly. I have already added these sites to my profiles in various job sites, and hope that they have the professional impact I desire.

No comments: